Monday, August 23, 2010

Week 9: Coming to the end of the course

Dear all

I found the second last week to be a bit relaxing simply because we had already submitted the reports at the beginning of the week. Since the report was out of our way, it was easier to concentrate on other tasks. I really like the way the course has been chalked out.

Like most of the teachers on this course the concept of MI and Learning Styles was not new to me, but I was thrilled to see the amount of helpful material available on it. After reading LEARNING STYLES AND STRATEGIES by Richard M. Felder and Barbara A. Soloman I got to know about sensing and intuitive learners for the first time. The manner in which the authors clarify the difference between each set of styles and how 'X' type of learners can help themselves learn better was a really nice way of helping the readers decide about their own learning style. The strategies and the advice it had for each learning styles can be taken to our classrooms, where our students may find out about their learning styles and how should they study, or respond to their own learning needs.


I also was thrilled to explore 'teacher tap' and the rich wealth of additional resources that it led to. I especially enjoyed watching Howard Gardner's talks through the video links. The link about the criticism on MI also mede me look at MI critically as well, but I remain a suppoter of this supplement knowledge about our students. I clearly remember once I conducted an MI survey for the foundation year Chartered Accountancy students and a student gave up his courses to opt for media sciences. Today he directs documentaries and is happy with life. So at one level we do a great service to students by making them more aware about their potential.

I am so happy to be a teacher, and now to be more aware of how less I knew:)

Cheers!

Saulat

No comments:

Post a Comment