Monday, August 16, 2010

Week 8: Tech, tech, tech...:)

Dear all

Week 8 came and went by, teaching us so much more about making activities, puzzles, games, tests. I did not know that there were so may free-of-cost teaching and learning websites. Somehow I was becoming fixed in my belief that there are no lunches in this world and nothing valuable will be open for all to use. But then we came across sites like easytestmaker.com, webposterwizard, xwordgenerator, hotpotato.com [this week only]which are a practical example of human generosity. Nicenet.com itself is so very useful, yet it is surprising that such less of teachers in my circle know about it.

This week I created my online class on nicenet, it's called Ms. Saulat's Class. Today I told some of my students about it but will formally share the class key with everyone on Friday. Initially I thought of developing a set of rules for the class to follow, just to maintain a decorum, but just now I got an idea to make them come up with a set of rules that they would like to follow. This, I feel, would fall under the category of LCA. It's interesting how all of us have started weighing our small teaching decisons and ideas according to the discussions on nicenet.

I must also take this opportunity to appreciate Liliya's hard work on her rough report draft. It had very rich data and a lot of details, though she had called it 'really sketchy', but other than the formatting there was nothing 'sketchy' about it:) I was really glad to see her work and my own work seemed really 'sketchy' infront of hers:( I hope to do better with the final submission though. This is what peer review does, it exposes the learners to each other's work and that is how implicit learning takes place. So thank you Liliya, for giving me an opportunity to learn and improve.

I am so grateful to be a part of this course:)

Cheers!

Saulat

2 comments:

  1. Dear Saulat,

    I also didn't know that there are so many good free websites for teaching English… It is good to have this knowledge and acquire all the teaching and computer skills in this course.
    I think it is a good idea to share your students the class rules or even let them write the rules. From my personal experience students can really write the rules that the teacher wishes to hear!

    Good luck in your project!
    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, Saulat! Thanks for appreciating my work. I also made the first step in creating a class on nicenet.But what I managed so far is to give it a name. All the content needs to be inserted. We are learning from one another and if I can help in some way, it makes me feel good. So good luck to you!!!

    Liliya

    ReplyDelete