Sunday, July 18, 2010

A WOW Week 4

Dear all

This week's reflection will begin with a confession. I had a wedding in the family hance couldn't give as much time to this week's assignments. I wanted so much to participate in the optional assignment but then I was missing deadlines for the mandatory posts so couldn't afford to do the optional reasearch required. I saw the assignments late and despite my vow to be the first one to get done with initial postings, I am at the tail of the week. It's Monday morning in Pakistan already...so work awaits me.

I consider reading and writing a real treat to teach, so the assignment topic was of high interest. We had spoken about listening and speaking earlier on and this week I read very interesting posts on reading and writing on nicenet and explored the recommended websites.

This week 'reading' was of special interest to me as I never thought that internet could help us teachers with that. May be I was a teacher of a traditional mindset where reading is considered done only when one is glued to a book. For the old fashioned teacher in me virtual books did not qualify as books so Mei Ya Liang's artile on "Three Extensive Reading Activities on e-books" was quite eye opening. I especially liked the evaluation grid idea, for student's meaningful feedback on thier readings.

I also loved most of the multi-skilled websites for their richness of materials and teaching ideas.

A very special thank you to Khuloud Asad, who clarified ABCD objectives to me:)

I also have an important query from Deborah... that would we have an access to the groups' nicenet posts even after the course ends? As I do not save everything that I like on nicenet, especially various recommended websites by course fellows.

Cheers!

Saulat

2 comments:

  1. Dear Saulat,
    I do hope we will be able to access the Nicenet discussions after the course will have finished, too. While there is no other option for us (apart from copy and paste) to save the interesting thoughts and ideas posted by our course mates, there is a way to save all their great links for future use. This is where your Delicious page will come in handy. I suggest you bookmark the page you find useful immediately, do not leave it for later, because it’s easy to lose valuable materials with such an abundance of Internet resources.

    All the best
    Arjana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Saulat and Arjana,

    You will be able to access the Nicenet site as long as you wish (and as long as Nicenet lasts, which I expect will be quite a while). The sites in this course do not shut down, unlike our Blackboard-based courses. The goal is to give you access to all of the tools we use in the course so that you can use them too.

    Yours,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete